Saturday, November 8, 2014

High on EdCamp...Two Weeks Later!

On October 25, 2014, the first ever EdCampUNY was held at Queensbury High School. Not only did I attend, but I was one of the organizers. The irony is/was, I had never attended an Edcamp (a brilliant new movement in professional development, an un-conference). I believe that the EdCampUNY experience was the catalyst that I needed to re-energize and rejuvenate me professionally and personally this school year!!

One of the highlights of that weekend was connecting in person with my PLN (professional/personal learning network). I have been privileged to have connected with some incredible professionals in the field of education, among them a small, tight group that coordinated this day. Thanks to my Principal, Lisa Meade, I raised my Twitter account from the dead and started connecting with like-minded people. What I cherished about my PLN that weekend (and always), is that I realized that they are all JUST LIKE ME in many ways. They are hard-working adults with husbands, wives and partners. They have families who count on them, whether it be parents, children or siblings. Friday night, as we met at the venue to set up and shared a meal together, I was in awe of all of them. And, I realized, that we were all so alike in the most important way: we are CONNECTED LEARNERS. We seek out inspiration, collaboration and support for our passion/calling: education. We make time for all of the aforementioned important parts of our lives AND our profession, being or helping others to be the best. My new friends have become an important part of my life, probably more than they know. I want to give a special shout out to Lisa Meade, Peter DeWitt, Christina Luce, Vicki Vissar/Day and Tim Dawkins.

Highlights from our first EdCampUNY include expanding my PLN to include new friends to celebrate: Doug Manion, Ross Cooper, Matt Hladun and Jon Harper (who is one of my inspirations to blog after that weekend!) I was also thrilled to see some district colleagues in attendance. Another great moment was sharing the EdCampUNY experience with 2 of my 8th grade teammates, Rich Starace and Drew McEvoy. We attended a session together that inspired the 3 of us to use GOOGLE CLASSROOM with our students.

In addition, I was drafted/coaxed by my friend, Christina Luce, to facilitate a discussion on Twitter. I was reluctant, as my strength is not winging it, nor am I a Twitter expert. But, once in the moment, I LOVED IT. (THANK YOU, CHRISTINA!) We sat together in a room full of professionals seeking great discussion on Twitter (and other social media). It was so empowering to share experiences and help others to navigate their new goals. I realized at that moment, I AM PROUD OF and COMMITTED TO branding my school/district/classroom. It was an AHA moment that will be a subject of a future blog!!

In the 2 weeks that followed EdCampUNY, I find myself focusing on the positive, working around any obstacles and negativity, inspired to set/reach new goals as an educator. I look forward to my next edcamp (EdCampCNY this summer), and even more importantly, staying a CONNECTED LEARNER. I believe in EVERY ONE of my students and colleagues, and will reach out to my PLN for continued inspiration. (I just finished my 5th Twitter chat in 8 days! My mind is overflowing with great ideas!)
To quote a friend, "THE VIRTUAL IS INDEED REAL." Get connected! Make new friends! Access a circle of support as needed/when it fits your busy life!!


2 comments:

  1. Patti this is wonderful and I am so impressed how you have jumped in with both feet. I myself have never facilitated a discussion. It was an honor to meet you and I agree the connections made that weekend were awesome. I look forward to learning with you and meeting again one day.Hopefully at next year's Edcamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am humbled by your words. Looking forward to connecting in person again!!

      Delete