Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Power of the Positive!

I work in a PBIS school, which means the focus is on the POSITIVE! I have watched PBIS transform our middle school climate to such a positive learning environment that I sometimes take it for granted, as it is now the norm. But, this week, I was reminded of the POWER OF THE POSITIVE both at home and at work.

Anyone who has any contact with me knows that our family lives for baseball. This year, my son, Mike,  added football to his repertoire with much success. Winter is the conundrum for Mike. He has experimented with wrestling, indoor soccer, 1 skiing lesson and last year,  his first season of basketball. As winter sports season approached, we stepped back and let Mike work out his decision-making for himself. He vowed to try out for basketball again. Thankfully, he made the cut. He is giving this season his all, as Mike does nothing halfway. (Wonder where he gets that?) But, he is a realist and knows his strength is not in basketball (at least not yet).

Recently, one of the coaches pulled him aside at practice and asked if he was planning to be part of the program next year (which would be varsity). Mike fumbled with his answer, perhaps thinking that his skills are not varsity material. But, he answered, "Most likely, yes, I guess." The coach went on to share how happy he was, that he was seen as a leader and is a model student-athlete. His accolades went on for a few minutes. 

My son beamed as he repeated the conversation to me. Inside, I was jumping for joy. All parents hope to raise children of whom we can be proud. This was indeed was a great mom moment. I know that I must send a note to that coach to share how thankful I am that he took the time to be positive. Mike now sees himself as more valuable to his team than he once thought.

November means parent-teacher conferences in most area elementary and many middle schools. I work in a community that has many supportive, engaged parents who accept the invitation to come in for conferences. Traditionally, we go non-stop for days meeting with parents in a turn-style crazy schedule after students dismiss.  But, this year, we took a different approach. Our Principal, Lisa Meade, suggested that we only invite parents of students who were having difficulty (academically, socially, emotionally, etc.) so that we could have more meaningful conversations and plan more strategically for improvements and support in lieu of the 10 minute drive-thru conference.

In theory, it sounded great. But, what about our students who are doing well? Don't they deserve affirmation, too? Our Principal requested that we make time to initiate positive contact for those students, as well. What a great idea! As the team leader, I asked my colleagues to collaborate and agree on to whom we would reach out so that we could contact as many families as possible. The discussion that ensued was incredible. As we each began listing students for whom we would like to make POSITIVE contact, we were having a discussion about a majority of our students, sharing why we would choose those students and how they were doing in our classes. I cannot remember the last time that we had a team meeting talking all about great kids. We parted, each with a plan to contact via mail, email and phone, as many parents and families as possible with kind and positive news! What a great way to go into our Thanksgiving break!

I am thankful that I work in a school that focuses on the positive, led by a Principal who would not have it any other way.
I am thankful for terrific colleagues, especially on my 8th grade team. We each see different strengths and talents in our students.
I am thankful for the adults in my son's life: coaches, teachers and fellow parents, who make time to share positive feedback. It means more than they might ever know. Being a mom has made me a better teacher! It reminds me what makes good schools and teachers - GREAT! 

May we never forget the power of kind words and celebrating the POSITIVE!


"Unless someone offers a friendly smile, a helping hand, a caring word, a listening ear, somebody somewhere loses the courage to live."  - Parish motto, Blessed Sacrament, Bolton Landing, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment